When we heard we were making a website, we wheeled out the whiteboard and came up with these top five things which make Christchurch, and the wider Canterbury region, such a splendid location for shooting films, commercials and photographic campaigns.
Here are just some of the landscapes you have easy access to in Canterbury: pristine lakes, spectacular rivers, snowy mountains, golden beaches, vineyards, olive groves, grain crops, green rolling hills, forests, harbours, villages, sea port, historic buildings, modern architecture … to name a few.
The really amazing thing is that you can find all the of above locations within an hour’s drive from Christchurch airport. We’re not kidding!
For all sorts of reasons, it’s SO easy to shoot in the South Island. No traffic or security issues for a start, plus we have the infrastructure, the experienced crews, the gear and the positive, ‘can do’ attitude.
We like to think of Canterbury as the food basket of New Zealand. We produce fine food and fabulous wine and we make sure that visiting crews get to experience some of Canterbury’s finest while they are based here.
Right now is an amazing time to experience Christchurch. We’re a city undergoing an incredible transformation, after a series of devastating earthquakes pretty much destroyed the central city in 2010/11. Five years on, the rebuild is in full swing and the city is abuzz with creativity, innovation and optimism. It sounds a bit naff, and it’s hard to describe but there really is an incredible energy about the place. You’ll see what we mean when you get here.
Things you might not already know about Christchurch…
- Christchurch’s International Airport is 20 minutes from the city centre.
- It takes about 10 hours to fly here from Singapore, 3 hours from Sydney and roughly an hour and a quarter from Auckland, if you have a tail wind.
- We have four distinct seasons and they are the opposite to the Northern Hemisphere.
- Our temperatures in summer are around 23-30 degrees Celsius (73 – 86 Fahrenheit) and in winter we can get down to 0 – 8 degrees Celsius (32 – 46 Fahrenheit) and occasionally it will snow to sea level.
- We make some great wines in Canterbury. Waipara for example, an hour’s drive from Christchurch airport, is a very, very well respected wine making region.
- In 2013 Lonely Planet rated Christchurch 2nd in their top 10 places to visit.
- Our city centre is in the process of becoming the newest, coolest, most modern little city in the world (you can tell we’re not biased).
- Our Cathedral is made of cardboard.
- If you are planning to shoot in Canterbury, you’re in good company. In recent years some of the films which have been shot here include; Z is for Zachariah (dir. Craig Zobel), Slow West (dir. John Maclean), Lord of the Rings Trilogy (dir. Peter Jackson), The Narnia Chronicles (dir. Andrew Adamson, Michael Apted), and Sunset Song (dir. Terence Davies).
+ 64 (0)274 329803